How Much Protein in an Egg? Facts about Egg


Eggs are a highly nutritious food that most athletes and bodybuilders eat to meet their daily protein needs. Since egg is carbohydrate free which makes it good for keto diet lovers.

But there are many misconceptions regarding to egg as it contains high cholesterols. You might think that "Is egg really a good source of protein? Or how much protein does a single egg contain? You will know everything about egg and their nutritional value.

How Much Protein in an Egg

The answer to the question "How much protein in egg?" depends on the size of an egg. Since there are many types of egg that comes with different sizes.

An egg consists of 60% the white, 30% is yolk and remaining is shell. About 35% of the total calories in an egg are made up of protein and 65% are fat.

However, egg contains 13 grams of protein per 100 grams. The amount of protein in an egg are vary on its size. Therefore, one egg contains between 6.77 to 8 grams of protein, and two large eggs contain almost 13 grams of protein.

An egg is high in vitamin A, the yolk contains 186 - 190 mg of cholesterol. There is not much difference in the amount of protein between egg white and yolk. The yolk contains slightly less protein than the white. Therefore, to get the full benefit of egg protein, you should consume whole egg.

However, eggs considered complete, high-quality protein because it is rich source of all 9 essential amino acids. An egg provide all those important amino acids which our body cannot produce itself. Therefore, to get those nutrients you must include them in your diet. Amino acids are considered the basic building blocks of the body because they contribute to protein formation.

Nutrition Fact and Information about Egg

  • An average egg weighs around 56 - 60 grams.
  • The calories of an average egg is 74 - 80 kcal (310 kJ).
  • The highest amount of protein is found in the white of an egg.
  • 1 egg contains 6 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat.
  • 1 egg-white contains 4 grams protein, and no fat.
  • 1 egg-yolk contains 3 grams protein, 5 grams fat.
  • Most of the fats present in an egg are unsaturated.
  • Eggs are rich in the best quality proteins: they contain all the essential amino acids and which help muscle building and speeds up recovery process.
  • The egg yolk is the most important source of vitamins and minerals.
  • Egg whites are cholesterol free and one egg yolk contains around 186mg of cholesterol.
  • Egg yolks increases your HDL which help lower your LDL (bad) cholesterol.
  • 1 Egg provides sufficient amount of vitamin D.
  • Eggs contain the important antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin.
  • 1 Egg contains 20% of the daily recommended amount of choline, a substance important for the brain.
  • Egg yolks provide selenium which help lower the risk of many diseases.
Previous Post Next Post